Monday, October 18, 2010

A Long Awaited Trip to New England: The Boston Photos

Well folks, the days are getting shorter, the nights are getting colder, and the ghost tours are getting larger.

But finally, a moment to update you with my goings-on!

Boston was nice. I had imagined it to be very clean, and very new. Very nicely maintained. And it was all of those things, but in a sort of creepy way.

I only really spent two days in the city itself, and one of them rained all over my hopes of truly exploring the city. But I think I saw a pretty good chunk of it, all things considered.
I went to the MFA
Saw one of my favorite Matisses
And once again spotted an Alfred Emile Stevens!

Was surprised to find a Sarah Bernhardt sculpture.
A lot of Sargents!

And I went to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, where I couldn't take any photographs.

This photograph of the atrium at the ISGM was just now stolen off the internet. I felt that a lot of the paintings on display in the building were poorly lit and difficult to see. But the building made up for what was disappointing in the paintings. Absolutely stunning, and inspiring. I'd like to see an artist residency built around this idea of environment and community.

Anna came to visit on Friday, and we went to the MIT museum, and saw the Robots exhibit!

That night we were joined by Anna's boyfriend as well as Julie, and we went to the Contemporary Art Museum, and then to see In the Next Room, or, The Vibrator Play. It was amazing. I'd recommend it to everyone. Yes, especially everyone.

Saturday Julie took me to Salem! Ahh!



It really just reminded me how much I loved The Crucible.
And there's not much else like hokey, historic tourism!

Sunday we stopped by Kerouac's grave. It was really moving, how many people leave things for him every day. We met two people visiting him, and we were there for maybe 20 minutes. People sure do love you, Jack.

Our next stop was Concord. We did tours of the Old Manse, Orchard House, and then stopped by Waldon Pond.

We didn't have enough time to actually see where Thoreau built his little house, but the recreation of it by the parking lot was good enough for me.



Then I caught a train to Providence. But I think that's best entered in a separate post, yes?

1 comment: