Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tacheles in Danger

Today was Saturday bakery day, so I am exhausted. I am not going to update or post photos, I just needed to post that I just came across this on NPR: that the squatters/artists house in Berlin, Tacheles, is in danger of being destroyed because of gentrification. I am generally for gentrification, but certainly not when it removes aspects of the area that caused it to be gentrified in the first place. Going to Tacheles was one of my favorite parts of Berlin, and I really think that it changed my idea of "artists' commune" into a more favorable "artists' community studio", knowing that I cannot LIVE in a place like that, but that making art in such a way is absolutely incredible. I miss the studios at MICA, I miss my roommates, but Tacheles really proved to me how such lifestyles are possible to a really high degree. To read the article, or listen: NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment