Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need to know of hell."

-Emily Dickenson

A year ago today, I graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art. I didn't cry that day. I tried not to cry that summer, because I knew that if I started to cry, I might not ever stop. But time does soothe all sorrows.


My visit to Baltimore was grand. I got a ride there for free, since Nick was driving through Baltimore on his way to North Carolina. I even got a ride back because Sarah was driving back to Atlantic City from Towson! I have such good friends!

I stayed with my friend Victoria, but so many MICAns were finishing up commencement show stuff, and etc, that I ended up spending more time with friends who graduated MICA but stayed in Baltimore.

The Commencement Show was awesome, and ArtWalk was great, but looking at that much art really is exhausting!

Claire Clayton
Becca Stadtlandter*

Yelena Brynksenkova*
Shannon May

Dominique Hellgeth was front and center on the first floor of the Brown Center!

Peter Eide got two walls!

Caroline Evans

Ashleigh Wilkinson and Heather Donahue; apologies for slightly misrepresenting the piece: it actually reads (from the eye-level of a person of normal height) "We Have Nothing To Hide"

Austin Rocket

Ajay Leister

"Validation"

"Virgin and Slut"

Jamie Freedman

This is actually my friend Riff, with whom Bobby and I enjoyed some of Fishtown's First Friday a few weeks ago. He got photographed by some MICA kids, and was there in the show!

And I must have accidentally deleted the photograph of this artist's name, so if anyone knows who did this awesome piece, please enlighten me!

Other good times were had, including two nights of celebration of the 25th anniversary of the birth of Mike Hanes.


"And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window, so, for that pleasure . . . And your friends will be properly astonished to see you laughing as you look up at the sky! Then you will say to them, 'Yes, the stars always make me laugh!' And they will think you are crazy. It will be a very shabby trick that I shall have played on you..."
-Antoine de Saint Exupery, The Little Prince


*denotes photographs stolen from Claire Clayton on account of I didn't catch the artist beside their work myself.

2 comments:

  1. I am actually quite heartsick for Baltimore... and sad that I missed the graduation

    ReplyDelete
  2. its okay Darcey! I missed the graduation too, I just went for the show :)

    ReplyDelete