Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Alex Kanevsky!

This morning Britany called me, asking if I'd like to go food shopping with her, since she had some gift cards she wanted to spend rather than losing, as she worried she might. This also worked out because her car has been in the shop for a few weeks after a minor collision. So that was really nice, and we finally went to the MilkCrate Cafe by her house. They don't have prepared foods yet, but the blueberry muffin I had with some chai tea was good. Nothing special, but its practically next door to her house.

And then I did go and meet Alex Kanevsky! I felt that it might be inappropriate to photograph him or his studio, but I was not ashamed to photograph his doorbell label! It was really nice, I think I was there for about 25 minutes: he showed me all his work there, and explained a lot of things to me. Apparently he uses a lot of squeegees to get the smoothness, and I was amazed at how thin a lot of the layers were: I guess that helps with the back-front, front-back effect. He also showed me some works he had done in collaboration with a master printmaker. The process involved watercolor on mylar, and then aqua-tinting, printed on handmade japanese paper. He went into great detail about these, about how they were inspired by an X-ray of a broken foot.

His work and personality, and atmosphere (absolutely gorgeous studio!) rather excited me, and I had wanted to grab a model, but instead I started working on a scratching bed for Hans. I googled for it a while ago, and found directions here.
Hans seems to like the boxes I cut up to make it. Its not quite done, but I imagine pretty soon.

I think its time for dinner and painting!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. wow - you met Kanevsky! next time don't be shy to photo his studio! :)

    ReplyDelete