Friday, October 30, 2009

All Hallows Eve Scrooge.

Things have been a little crazy around here. Working at Project Basho has been good: simultaneously wracking my nerves, and building my confidence. I've forgotten to do a few things, or complete them, and have suffered the consequences, but for the most part things are going smoothly. I was also asked to chauffeur around Tsuyoshi and two Japanese professionals from a paper making company. That was Wednesday. At one point driving them to dinner in center city during rush hour, I realized how utterly absurd it was that I was doing this. As though I had been teleported from a year ago, right into the drivers seat of my own car, full of 3 30-something year old Japanese professionals. Quite a turn of events.

Overall things have been good. But being alone for the holidays I suppose is always rough. Especially when the holiday is Halloween. Although I didn't end up going to major parties for Halloween at MICA, I always dressed up and went to the MICA costume party. Seeing hundreds of art students in their best (and worst) may very well have been the highlight of my year. Shortly after Halloween last year I decided that I would be Princess Peach, driving her MarioKart. I have been looking forward to it, but the past few weeks have been too busy for me to make a costume. Aside from that, I would only have worn it tonight, and... to what? I was invited to Baltimore for the weekend, but having work today until 5:30, and work again Sunday at 9:30 seemed to make for a 4 hour drive, and a 24 hour excursion. It was a toss-up, but I declined.

I fear that I am slowly becoming a Scrooge. I'll be the first to admit that weddings are not my thing, and there were many reasons that I did not attend my friend's wedding two weeks ago. But Halloween in Baltimore? Working rather than making a costume? Of course, each time weighing my options and respecting each decision, but I am certainly noticing a trend.

Oh well, Celia and I have a day planned tomorrow: scary movies and Chipotle free "boo-ritos" (dress up as a burrito, get a free burrito). Last week we made sushi and saw Where the Wild Things Are. Personally I thought it was really weird. I thought I liked it, but the more I think about it, I am less certain of that. I thought there were distinctly confusing familial/sexual dynamics between the characters, and I thought that several scenes were much too violent. In addition, I thought the whole theme was much more depressing and upsetting than the care-free, bildungsroman that I loved as a child. Or maybe thats just how I viewed it.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on the Scroogeness. I had to work at 7am this morning for a one-time inventory thing for work. I don't particularly mind, but this kinda hindered any Halloween plans that included me going far away. (Wanted to go to things in Conneticuit, Atlantic City) I still managed to get out for a while last night, but I've noticed the work > play factor, especially when being invited to things by people who are still in college, and you're bound to an unwaivering work schedual.

    But hang in there! :) and come to my party next weekend

    ReplyDelete