Monday, April 26, 2010

Done with Doubts and Dithering

It's been rainy and cold, so I haven't gone to buy my herbs yet. But, I did make dinner with Celia last week, so I saved the unused scallions and parsley: the scallions (above) are growing quite nicely in one of the two extra bed-risers I got from Ikea last year (since my bed uses 6). The parsley (below) is sprouting well in water.
My grandmother's violets are doing really well, just in time for their return in a week or so! She'll be thrilled with all the pretty white flowers!
Guys, I've got to admit something. The universe has been sort of handing things to me lately. I haven't had enough hands to accept it all, and I am really grateful, but I am beginning to wonder what it will want in return... Are you curious yet?

Mostly in terms of income. I was unemployed for a whole month, and it got to be a bit scary but mostly boring and unproductive. But since then I've been working at the Mutter, and still volunteering at Basho, while continuing to apply to anything that catches my eye. I am doing really well on my ghost tour training, and should be giving tours in just over a month! The Census called me last week, and I have my paid training next week. Urban Outfitters called me for a group interview that I accepted, but have been postponing on account of all the other things going on: I have to call and ask them to put my on the back burner for a few months, if they can. The Mutter might be needing me a little more often soon, when Nick leaves for his Pre-Med post-bac program in North Carolina, but I still haven't been told anything officially yet.

Most recently, today, my phone rang and it was Gert, downstairs. She asked if I wanted a job as a hostess at a Cafe, and if I wanted to make some money this week doing face painting at the UPenn Children's Festival. Of course I reluctantly said no the first, and yes to the second! We went to meet her friend Simone, who owns Hinge Cafe in Port Richmond, which is about a half hour walk, or a short bus ride. She needs a hostess for the weekends and helpers for face painting this week only. I am helping her out tomorrow and Thursday, but am busy other than that! Maybe later in the summer she'll be in need of some help, and then I might be more available, but maybe not. When we got back, I thanked Gert for the gig and the ride, and she casually mentioned that Simone has artists show work there from time to time. Gert is my favorite person today, if only she would get her act together building our tumbling composter!

I don't know how I'm going to have time to do all these things AND use my studio. All I know is, I get a lot more done when I am running on adrenaline, coffee, and chocolate, than a good night's sleep.

Mom is coming for dinner tonight, although she couldn't get her hands on a promised used Air Conditioning unit. Good thing I really won't need it for a few more weeks. I guess she'll just have to come visit again. Too bad, I really hate free dinner and mom's company!

No comments:

Post a Comment